AD POSTING POLICY
The following activities are prohibited on FreemarketChicago:
- Posting an item for sale that is:
- not located in the US
- illegal to own, buy or sell in your area of residence and the area you are advertising
- is on our prohibited items list
- Posting multiple Ads that are too similar to each other
- Posting ads using multiple different email addresses.
- Posting an ad that serves no other purpose other than to send traffic to a web site.
- Posting an ad containing a list of keywords not directly related to the item being sold.
- Posting an ad in languages other than English.
- Posting an ad that contains adult, mature or erotic content.
- Posting an ad that defames anyone or contains "hate speech".
- Posting opinions, notices, and discussion topics which should instead be posted on social media sites.
- Posting an ad in an incorrect or misleading category or with misleading information.
- Posting as a Private Seller, Owner, or Individual when you are a Business, Dealer or Professional.
- Discriminatory or offensive behavior and the usage of profanity or patently vulgar language.
- Encouraging others to break the law.
- Misleading others by false statements.
- Violation of Fair Housing laws and regulations.
- Violation of Equal Opportunity and job discrimination laws and regulations.
Prohibited Items List
These products or services are prohibited for posting on FreemarketChicago:
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Academic Aids
- Test-taking services in which someone takes an exam for someone else
- Academic paper-writing services providing custom/pre-written these, dissertations, etc.
- Adult Content
- Escort services that offer or suggest sexual services
- Material that is obscene, pornographic or adult in nature, or harmful to minors
- Prostitution or ads that offer sex, sexual favors or sexual actions in exchange for money or gifts
- Pictures or images that contain nudity
- Personal ads that are adult in nature
- Beating Drug Tests
- products that facilitate the evasion of drug laws and promote ways to " beat" a drug test
- Counterfeit Products and Replicas
- Counterfeit currency, coins, stamps or tickets and the equipment designed to make them
- Replicas or imitations of designer products
- Identity documents
- Personal information in any form, including mailing lists and financial records
- Government and Transit Badges
- Government Uniforms, Documents or Licenses, such as internal manuals of commercial airlines or postal service uniforms
- Drugs, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Equipment
- Illegal substances, substances with questionable legality or substances whose primary purpose seems to be recreational mind alteration.
- Drug paraphernalia
- Prescription drugs
- Devices that require a prescription to obtain (e.g. contact lenses, hearing aids)
- Embargoed goods
- Items originating from the countries of Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Cuba
- Endangered or protected species
- This includes the sale of products derived from elephants, sharks, tigers, whales, rhinoceroses, or dolphins such as:
- Elephant tusk ivory, tiger pelts, shark fins
- Fireworks and Pyrotechnic Devices
- Destructive devices
- Explosives and explosive material
- Illegal Activity
- recycler.com will not publish any ads that may encourage or facilitate illegal activity, such as:
- Hacking and cracking code and tools that aid in copyright infringement
- Stolen goods or property with serial number removed
- Altered property
- Lottery tickets
- Sweepstakes entries
- Slot Machines
- Investments and e-Gold Related Content
- e-gold exchange, e-gold investment, and e-gold accounts
- Stocks and other securities
- Potentially Hazardous Materials or Items
- Radioactive or toxic materials
- Used or rebuilt batteries or batteries containing mercury
- Recalled Items
- Products and Services of Questionable Legality
- Electronic surveillance equipment
- Burglary tools
- Items which may encourage or facilitate illegal activity, such as:
- Access cards
- Password sniffers
- Traffic signal control devices
- Cable descramblers
- Tobacco Products
- Cigarettes, Cigars, Smokeless Tobacco
- Other Tobacco products
- Illegal weapons and related items will not be accepted. This includes:
- Illegal firearms, firearm parts and magazines
- Tear gas
- Stun guns
- Switchblade knives
- Martial arts weapons (e.g. nunchucks)
- Any other items that are not listed above but prohibited for listing, sale, exchange, or service by the law.
Any other products/elements/ingredients as may be designated by FreemarketChicago at any time in its sole discretion.
Policy on Discrimination in Housing/Real Estate Advertising
We strongly support the local, state and federal fair housing statutes and encourage you to read more about your rights as a prospective renter, home buyer or roommate. All potential home buyers or renters are hereby informed that all housing advertised is available on an equal opportunity basis and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, handicap or familial status. When posting an ad on our websites, you must comply with section 3604(c) of the Federal Fair Housing Act. This law prohibits discrimination in the sale or rental of housing and details other prohibited practices. This statute prohibits stating, in any notice or ad for the sale or rental of a dwelling, a discriminatory preference based on any of the following protected categories:
- National Origin
- Familial Status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians; pregnant women and people
- Securing custody of children under 18)
- Handicap / Disability
The Fair Housing Act provides additional protections, and limited exceptions, that are explained in publications from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development("HUD") and the Department of Justice.
HUD has issued guidance on advertising rental properties, properties for sale and roommates.
State and local laws often prohibit discrimination based on additional criteria (e.g. sexual orientation, age, marital status, or source of income). Please contact your state’s Housing Authority in order to find out more about the specific laws in your state and see more detailed discussion of Federal rules elsewhere on our site.
A person that posts an Ad must be at least 16 years old and has no limitation of placing an Ad publicly on the Internet by the Federal and local laws. If a person places an Ad on behalf of legal entity, such person has to be authorised by the legal entity on behalf of which the ad is posted.
Our general rule is that you may not list, buy or sell items or services that are illegal to own, buy or sell in your state of residence, or that are not bought or sold in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. You are responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable laws relating to the item you list, buy or sell.